Get The Best Coupons For Your Prescriptions
Best Coupons For Ferrous sulfate
1427 coupons scanned today
Advertising Disclosure: Our comparison tool is free. Ranking is based on price. We receive advertising fees from some of the brands we list
Best Coupons for Ferrous sulfate
This article is not medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or use the medication guide.
Ferrous sulfate Information
What is Ferrous Sulfate?
Ferrous sulfate is an over the counter iron supplement. Iron supplements are also known as iron pills or iron salts. They are used to treat or prevent iron deficiency (low iron levels in the blood) resulting from anemia or pregnancy.
Iron is a crucial component in the production of hemoglobin, a part of the red blood cells that carries oxygenated blood from the lungs. Without sufficient iron, it’s hard for the body to make enough of these oxygen-carrying blood cells. This may lead to symptoms such as light-headedness, shortness of breath, dizziness, and fatigue.
Iron also forms a crucial part of myoglobin. These are red proteins found in the heart and skeletal muscles and whose role is to carry and store oxygen in muscle cells.
Ferrous sulfate 325 mg is prescribed when the body can’t synthesis enough red blood cells due to excess bleeding, poor diet, pregnancy, and other disorders.
Ferrous sulfate brand name
Iron Ferrous sulfate is a generic drug, but it’s also available in other brand names listed below;
- Fer Iron
- Slow Fe
- Mykidz Iron 10
- Lydia E. Pinkham
Forms and Strengths of Ferrous sulfate medication
Ferrous sulfate pills/tablet
- 45 mg
- 200 mg
- 300 mg
- 325 mg
Ferrous sulfate tablets (extended-release)
- 140 mg
- 142 mg
- 160 mg
- Ferrous sulfate 325 mg tablet
Ferrous sulfate liquid drops (oral)
- 75 mg/mL
Ferrous sulfate oral solution
- 15 mg
- 220 mg
- 300 mg
Proper use of Feosol Ferrous sulfate iron
Ferrous sulfate otc can either be prescribed by a doctor or even bought over the counter. Whichever way, it’s crucial to follow the recommended guidelines from your doctor or on the product information leaflet. As indicated in this Ferrous sulfate David pdf, the body best absorbs Ferrous sulfate over the counter medication on an empty stomach. If the drug gives you stomach upsets, then consider taking it 1-2 hours after a meal.
Note that you may experience Ferrous sulfate 325 mg side effects if you take this medication alongside other minerals or multivitamins. If you’re taking these drugs, always space them with at least 2 hours.
If you’re giving Ferrous sulfate elemental iron in the form of liquid to a child, use the dropper included in the package to measure the directed dosage. For children who have trouble taking liquid medication, you can mix the medicine in cereal, fruit juice, or baby formula (not milk).
If you’re taking Ferrous sulfate 325 tablet, pill, or extended-release capsule, swallow using a full glass of water without crushing it in the mouth. In addition, remain in an upright position for at least 10 minutes after taking the dose.
Ferrous sulfate Dosage
Your doctor or pharmacist will calculate the necessary Ferrous sulfate dose depending on your symptoms and condition plus age. For children 0-5 years, their weight also determines their dosage. Please take or administer the medication as directed to benefit from it and to prevent side effects.
Ferrous sulfate dosage for iron-deficiency anemia
- 600mg/day (divided in 1-2 doses). Take for 3 months
- 0-5 years: 15-30mg/kg/day
- 5-11 years: 300 mg
- 12-18 years (male): two 300 mg tablets per day (orally)
- 12-18 years (female): 300-600 mg/day
Ferrous sulfate dosage for vitamin/mineral supplement
- Below 51 years: one Ferrous sulfate 325 mg orally daily
- Above 51 years: 25-40 mg/day in evenly spaced doses
- Premature infants 0-12 months: 10 mg/kg/day
- 0-6 months: 1-1.35mg orally daily
- 7-12 months: 35-55mg orally daily
- 1-3 years: 20-45mg orally daily
- 4-8 years: 20-50mg orally daily
- 9-13 years: 30-40mg orally daily
- 14-18 years: 40-75mg orally per day
Ferrous sulfate: Missed dose
If you’ve missed Ferrous sulfate (Feosol generic) dose, take it when you remember during the day (on an empty stomach). However, skip the missed dose if it’s almost time for your next dosage. Ferrous sulfate 325 mg cvs can be fatal when overdosed. Never take a double dose to replace a missed dosage.
What is Ferrous sulfate used for?
Ferrous sulfate uses include treating and preventing iron deficiency. It’s also used as a mineral supplement for low levels of iron in the body. Note that your doctor may prescribe it for other reasons not highlighted here.
Before using Ferrous sulfate
Discuss with your healthcare giver if you suffer from;
- Hereditary hemolytic anemia
- Iron overload syndrome
Also, tell your doctor if you’re an alcoholic or if you’ve been booked for regular blood transfusions. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you’re taking other vitamin or mineral supplements too.
Can Ferrous sulfate cause allergic reactions?
Ferrous sulfate (Feosol generic) is less likely to cause allergic reactions. However, if it does for you, the allergy may be in the form of difficulty breathing, hives, and an itchy rash accompanied by skin swelling. If you experience any of these symptoms, talk to your doctor immediately before continuing with the medication.
Ferrous sulfate interactions with other drugs
Ferrous sulfate interacts with over 80 drugs and 3 diseases. This list does not capture all the drugs that interact with Ferrous sulfate. Discuss with your doctor or pharmacist about any other drugs that you’re taking and any underlying health condition for proper guidance.
Medications that interact with Ferrous sulfate
- Calcium 600 D
Diseases that interact with Ferrous sulfate
- Hemoglobin disorder
- Gastrointestinal irritation
- Ferrous sulfate pregnancy- seek for your doctor’s advice before taking Ferrous sulfate if you’re pregnant. During the first trimester, Ferrous sulfate (Feosol generic) should only be taken if the doctor advises so. For the 2nd and 3rd trimesters, this drug can be used if the expectant mother isn’t getting enough iron from her diet.
- Breastfeeding- Ferrous sulfate nursing implications suggest that this drug is generally safe for lactating mothers.
- Pediatric- Ferrous sulfate liquid is safe for infants and kids. However, you should only give it under your doctor’s directions and only when treating iron-deficiency anemia.
Ferrous sulfate Warnings
- Do not take Ferrous sulfate if you’re allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Ferrous sulfate overdose can be fatal. Always take as indicated and contact your local poison center if you suspect an overdose.
- This drug may cause stomach upsets and constipation. Consult your doctor if these conditions get severe.
- Your stool may be dark in color when using Ferrous sulfate, which is normal. However, you should talk to your doctor in case the stool is tarry.
- Some foods, including spinach, eggs, nuts, tea, chocolate, kale, and dairy products, may lower Ferrous sulfate absorption in the stomach. Take these foods 2 hours before or after administering iron pills.
Side effects of iron pills Ferrous sulfate
Less severe side effects
- Stomach upset
- Dark-colored stool
- Temporary stained teeth
This list does not include all the side effects of Ferrous sulfate. If you feel that something is not right, consult your doctor immediately.
Proper storage of Ferrous sulfate
Store Ferrous sulfate at a room temperature range of 59F-86F (15c-30c). Keep drugs away from moisture, light and children. You can refrigerate liquid Ferrous sulfate, but you should not freeze it.
Ferrous sulfate cost
This drug is generally inexpensive, although it’s even cheaper with a Ferrous sulfate coupon. The best price for Ferrous sulfate 325 mg (30 tablets) is $7 (out of pocket). However, with the best coupon for Ferrous sulfate, the price of a 30-tablet 325mg dosage could range between $2.22 and $4.73. Price varies between stores.
Ferrous sulfate: Mechanism of Action
Drugs in Ferrous sulfate classification are used as iron supplements. When your body is not getting enough iron from your diet, taking Ferrous sulfate helps boost your system’s iron levels. Ferrous sulfate (Feosol generic) works on the Epoetin alfa glycoprotein, which stimulates the production of red blood cells.